Schedule Your QuoteRequest Service Call

How to Read a Carbon Monoxide Detector

How to Read a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Carbon monoxide poisoning brings more than 20,000 Americans to the ER each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Fortunately, our electrical contractors can install carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home so you’re protected against this silent killer. 

Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Continue reading to learn how to understand what your carbon monoxide detector is telling you.

1. Hire an Electrician to Install CO Detectors

Just like smoke detectors, you’ll need carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home and outside sleeping areas. Typically, the manufacturer will recommend you install the CO detectors near the ceiling. If you don’t feel comfortable installing CO detectors, call our electricians. We’re always more than happy to help customers make their homes safer.

Carbon monoxide weighs the same as air. However, carbon monoxide is warmer than air when it leaks from fuel-burning appliances. Since heat rises, the carbon monoxide floats to the ceiling where it will be detected by your carbon monoxide alarms.

While most carbon monoxide leaks come from fuel-burning appliances, you shouldn’t install your CO detectors too close. It’s not uncommon for fuel-burning appliances to release a puff of concentrated carbon monoxide when they first switch on, which could give your CO alarm an inaccurately high reading.

2. Understand How CO is Measured

Carbon monoxide is measured in parts per million (PPM). This simply means that for every million parts of air, one of those parts is carbon monoxide. PPM is often used to quantify how much liquid or gas contaminant is present.

3. Recognize When CO Levels are Dangerous

If your CO levels creep above 35 PPM, evacuate your home and call 911. While this shouldn’t be taken as a strict guideline, it helps you understand when carbon dioxide becomes dangerous. 

35 PPM                                Maximum concentration allowed by federal law

200 PPM                              Headaches, dizziness, or nausea after 2 -3 hours

400 PPM                              Severe headaches after 1-2 hours, death after 3 hours

1,600 PPM                           Death in 1 hour

10,000 PPM                         Death in less than 10 minutes

Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Dull headache
  • Dizziness or weakness
  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Blurry vision

If you recognize any of the above symptoms, visit your local ER as soon as possible. Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are likely to show up first in children, the elderly, and pets. 

We highly encourage homeowners install carbon monoxide detectors so they can prevent illness or even death. The less carbon monoxide you breathe the better chance you’ll have of making a full recovery.

4. Remain Calm

Just because there’s a reading above 0 PPM, doesn’t mean you need to evacuate your home and call 911. In general, federal law considers any reading under 35 PPM to be safe for people exposed more than 8 hours. However, this is only a guideline and not an absolute rule.

5. Call for Help

Elevated carbon monoxide levels are an emergency. If you’re getting a reading of over 35 PPM, you need to evacuate your house and call either 911 or the non-emergency police number for your area. 

Emergency personnel can identify the source of the carbon monoxide leak, repair it, and remove the CO from your home. Until then, it won’t be safe for you or your family to be inside. 

Call Today!

You can trust our Lowell electricians to install the best carbon monoxide detectors for your home. To learn how we can install carbon monoxide detectors in your home, call us today at (616) 987-0596

Request a call for service

Request a Service Call

Or Call now at: (616) 987-0596

    Google Reviews

    Rob Stevens
    Rob Stevens

    5 out of 5 stars

    posted 2 months ago

    Jon did a great job for us! We were redoing the ceiling in our kitchen, which required a bit of electrical work. Jon got the prep work done for us quickly, so we could get to work. Upon completion of our portion, Jon was back and installing our new lighting. Great work, good value. Thanks.

    Ross Rademaker
    Ross Rademaker

    5 out of 5 stars

    posted 2 months ago

    I very rarely leave reviews, but I had to do so for Flat River because of how impressed I was. Everything from the first walk through and quote, to the communication leading up to the service and then the service itself was first class. Torie was great to work with and explained everything in detail so I knew what to expect in terms of the scale of work and cost. I would highly recommend Torie and Flat River Electric and will call them again for any future electrical needs.

    Vicky Bartosh
    Vicky Bartosh

    5 out of 5 stars

    posted 2 months ago

    I hired Flat River Electric two different times recently for services inside my home here in Lowell. Torie was the electrician each time. It’s obvious he loves his trade because He is very professional and knows exactly what he’s doing.
    Going forward, I would recommend him and this company to anyone looking for a quality electrical job done, inside or out.
    I